DIY Teeth Whitening Facts
Posted by Dr. Lee on Feb 15 2022, 06:41 AM
Teeth can be discolored for various reasons – excessive fluoride in the water, decay, food stains, infections, and also trauma.
To know more about DIY teeth whitening facts, you can visit East Burn Dentistry and Implants in Portland, Oregon, and get the most advanced teeth whitening kits.
What You Should Know About the DIY Kits
There are various brands of DIY kits available with hydrogen peroxide being the most common and effective agent used. Current kits also use LED lights for curing the bleaching agent. Choosing a proper brand, however, is best done by the dentist depending on the causes of discoloration and also the severity of discoloration.
- A dentist is the best person to thoroughly diagnose and guide you for a DIY kit. You can purchase these kits over the counter and use them at home.
- The dentist will also identify and correct initial stages of decay and cracks that may be present. Using DIY kits when there is decay can further aggravate the problem.
- A well-fitted custom tray to apply the material onto your teeth is very important. Most whitening kits contain hydrogen peroxide which is a bleaching agent, and it can irritate the gums and cause burning if not handled carefully. Hydrogen peroxide can cause the gums to recede or venture below their normal surface levels. This can cause irritation and decay of the tooth’s root surface, which worsens the discoloration and sensitivity.
- Current kits also use blue light or LED light to whiten teeth, which are also proven to whiten teeth without major side effects.
- For people who have food-related allergies, you can also get gluten-free, vegan, and cruelty-free kits.
- Most DIY kits produce whitening effects within 3 weeks of use. They have to be repeatedly used for sustained effect.
- For quick, short-term effects, whitening strips and gels are also available; however, the results are short-lived.
- Whitening toothpastes are also good but the whitening effect is sustained albeit for a brief period.
For additional guidance on DIY whitening kits in the Portland, OR area, schedule an appointment with East Burn Dentistry and Implants at (503) 233-4871. You can locate us at 1415 SE Ankeny St. Portland, Oregon 97214.